Thursday, May 14, 2009

Cornbread Stacey's Way


I just love a pan of crispy cornbread. I can eat it with pinto beans, which I am tonight, or with greens or in a glass of ice cold milk. The last item listed grosses my husband out to no end. I was the kid in the cafeteria with cornbread in my milk carton. You should have tried it, you would have liked it. I think to start off with you need a cast iron skillet. I use the one my grandmother used and I cannot imagine making cornbread without it. Another key to crispy cornbread is a HOT oven. I bake mine at 450' and I think it makes all the difference in crispness. My cornbread is pure southern cornbread. Meaning there is NO FLOUR OR SUGAR in it. Don't get me wrong, I like sweet cornbread sometimes but sweet is like a cup cake. This is What's Cookin tonight on Beaty's Creek.

Needed:
3 1/2 cups white cornmeal
1 T baking baking powder
1 egg
1 1/2 cups milk

Mix all of the ingredients together and then pour into a greased cast iron skillet. Cook at 450' until golden and crispy.

No comments:

Post a Comment