Friday, November 13, 2009

Wild Owl Mushroom--Bearded Tooth


The Bearded Tooth mushroom is another one of my favorite wild edibles found around Beaty's Creek. The Cherokee name for this mushroom is "ooo-gook" or owl. When gathering the owl you must be careful to not make the mushroom mad. Say what??? This mushroom if removed roughly or if it hits the ground will turn bitter and not be edible. I have been told this by several old timers so we are careful when gathering these little jewels. I don't know if this is entirely true, but I like to respect the beliefs of the old folk. It is also just plain fun to look for mushrooms that can get mad! I like to soak these in cold water and then slice them, flour them up, salt to taste and fry to a golden brown. Before eating anything you pick in the wild, please check with someone if you are unsure of the edibility. This is What's Cookin on Beaty's Creek today.












No comments:

Post a Comment