Saturday, December 6, 2008

Granny West’s Ginger Snap Cookies



These were my Grandpa West’s favorite cookies. Granny made them for him each winter. She would save bacon grease for this recipe. Yes, I said bacon grease. I like them much better made with bacon grease but you can use shortening. I would say make them first with bacon grease and you will not want to use anything else. They just melt in your mouth when you eat them.

Needed;
1-cup bacon grease or Braum's Butter
2 eggs
6 T Molasses
1 ½ cup sugar
2 ¼ baking soda
3 cups Shawnee Mills flour
1 ½ t cinnamon
1 ½ t ginger

Preheat oven to 350’.

Cream bacon grease, sugar and eggs together until light and fluffy. Add rest of ingredients. Mix until smooth. Form dough, and place into fridge for 1 hour. When chilled roll into 1 inch balls and then roll balls into sugar. Place on parchment lined cookie sheet. These don’t spread a lot. I bake mine 3 wide just to be safe. Bake for10 minutes. They will look soft when you take them out but they will crisp up as they cool. These are so good with hot tea! Must go make tea now.

1 comment:

  1. I know this is a super old post but THANK you for posting this recipe!!! I've been looking everywhere for my mom's old recipe- it was exactly like this but I didn't know the proportions. I remember she made it with bacon grease and they were the BEST gingersnaps. Thank you! Been looking for years. She couldn't find the recipe either; we're going to make them this fall! Thanks again. -Jolynn

    ReplyDelete