Monday, June 29, 2009

Grape Dumplings


Grape dumplings are a family tradition in many a Native's home. My husband's grandmother made the best I have ever eaten. Grape dumplings are a dessert of sorts. In the old days they were made with Possum Grape or Winter Grape juice. I can still remember eating dumplings made with them. Possum Grapes are hard to find now days but we have a good supply along Beaty's Creek. You can use store bought grape juice and the dumplings will still taste oh so good! This is What's Cookin on Beaty's Creek tonight!

Needed:

2 quarts purple grape juice or if you are lucky 2 quarts of possum grape juice
2 cups sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 T baking powder
1 1/2--2 cups water
*1 T cornstarch-mixed with 1 cup of cooled juice


Pour grape juice into a soup pot and bring to a slow boil, now add your sugar and stir. Simmer while you are making dumplings. To make dumplings you will sift flour and baking powder together in a large bowl and make a hole in the middle of flour mixture(this is where you will pour your water.) Pour in your water and with your hands mix flour in a little at a time until dough comes together. You may need a little more water or a little more flour. I know this sounds weird but once you feel the dough in your hands you will know what I mean. Once dough comes together roll out to a 1/4 inch thickness on a well floured rolling board. Now take a pizza cutter and cut into 1 inch squares. Once all of the dough is cut up bring your grape juice to a rolling boil and drop a few dumplings in at a time, I stir each time I drop a few. Boil for 10-15 minutes, *I like to add a little cornstarch to a 1/2 cup of cooled juice and add it back to the pot.* We like a little thicker sauce with our dumplings. This is so good with vanilla ice-cream.

6 comments:

  1. I am going to try your recipe for Thanksgiving this year. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how you like them. Thanks for coming to my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you keep them in as you add more dumplings, or do you fish the cooked ones out and drop in more?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I add them one at a time and stir each time I add them in. Hope that makes sense. Thank-you for reading my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. my grandmother use to make this using her fresh grapes, but my mother never got to write down how to make it. so i am goin to give this to her so she can make it. i have never had it but my mother says it's a BIG TREAT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! We have possum grapes!
    Look forward to trying your recipe.

    ReplyDelete