Sunday, March 17, 2019

Wild Onions and Eggs


Ladies and gentlemen..... Spring has arrived on Beaty's Creek!! You know spring is really here when you cook up a bunch of wild onions and eggs. Nothing could be better, well maybe a few morels(more on that later). The Tulsa World featured me a few years ago in an article about spring greens in Oklahoma. I am not telling all of you to go in the woods and try to figure out what onions are so read this and enjoy the thought of a wild onion and egg dinner. If you live in NW Arkansas or NE Oklahoma I am sure you know where to dig onions, but if not leave me a comment and I will try to help you out.

Needed:

2 hand fulls of wild onions cleaned and chopped into bite size pieces
Salt to taste
Oil
3 cups of water
5 eggs-beaten

Coat the bottom of a skillet with oil and saute your wild onions until softened a bit, now add your water and cook over a slow boil for 20 minutes, let some of the water evaporate. Now add your beaten eggs and stir like crazy until eggs come together and are done. We love the broth that you get from the onions, so good with crispy cornbread. That is What's Cookin on Beaty's Creek today.

3 comments:

  1. I want Wild Onions!! Where do I find them??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your recipe is the way my grandmother use to cook them...it's been so long however that I forget which onions to pick (what they look like) do you have some pics to share?

    ReplyDelete